*Visiting hours are currently restricted due to the COVID-19 pandemic. For more information regarding our visitor policy, please click here.
Stevenson Memorial Hospital (Stevenson) is committed to partnering with patients and families to provide compassionate, high quality care. We believe it is important for patients to experience the support of family and to be treated as an individual with unique needs. We are committed to providing a safe, secure and comfortable environment for our patients and staff. Patients and families are welcomed as essential members of the healthcare team, helping to ensure quality and safety.
- There are no “set” hours for visiting to accomodate the patient's need and circumstance.
We encourage patients in wards and semi-private rooms to be respectful of both the privacy and the needs of all the patients in the room.
For larger families or multiple visitors, please encourage the patient and families to use the cafeteria, quiet room or waiting room.
- Families and other partners in care are welcome 24 hours a day according to patient preference.
- The number of people welcomed at the bedside at any one time will be determined in collaboration with the patient, family and staff.
- Patients and families will be advised upon admission that visiting may be interrupted to provide appropriate patient care.
- Visiting may also be interrupted to ensure the privacy rights of other patients are respected. Stevenson commits to a collaborative approach to these conversations.
- Stevenson will honour, to the best of its ability, cultural diversity and the expressed wishes of patients with respect to visitors, rituals and traditions.
- Stevenson will create an environment for the patient that will promote optimal healing and ultimately benefit the staff as well.
- Children supervised by an adult are welcome.
- Children are not restricted by age.
- Children are expected to remain in the presence of the supervising adult (other than the patient) while on the hospital premises.
- Children’s behavior will be monitored by the responsible adult and the care team to ensure a safe and restful environment is maintained.
- Family, as defined by the patients, who are supporting a patient between the overnight hours of 9 p.m. and 6 a.m. are asked to remain in the patient’s room and advise unit staff when leaving the unit.
- These individuals are responsible for his/her own personal needs.
- During a declared infection control outbreak (i.e.: Influenza outbreak) or other hospital emergency, visiting may be restricted or cancelled to ensure patient and staff safety.
Except when the patient chooses to restrict family and others, limitations on the presence of these individuals may be appropriate in exceptional circumstances, such as when:
- There is a legal reason that is documented in the chart (i.e.: restraining order or family court order).
- Their behavior creates a direct risk or threat to patients, families, staff and others.
- They have a contagious illness or have had known exposure to a communicable disease.
- An infectious outbreak in the community or hospital.
- A patient in a shared room requires immediate lifesaving measures or a sensitive/private discussion needs to occur.
- Family or visitor who does not comply to infection control practices to protect our patients.
Please review Procedural Steps for more information regarding visiting a patient at Stevenson.