Stevenson Memorial Hospital (Stevenson) is located in the community of Alliston, in the Town of New Tecumseth, Ontario. Situated one hour north of downtown Toronto, this fully accredited hospital offers 41 inpatient beds and a wide range of outpatient services. Stevenson serves a catchment area that includes Adjala-Tosorontio, Canadian Forces Base Borden, Essa, Innisfil and New Tecumseth.
Stevenson dates back to 1928, when donations from T.P. Loblaw, of the famed Loblaws grocery chain, conceived the idea of a hospital as a tribute to his grandparents, William and Elizabeth Stevenson.
A lot has changed since then. Today the hospital is in a period of growth and opportunity. Stevenson is embarking on a redevelopment plan that would see the facility expand to over twice its current size. Our Emergency Department was built in 1964 to serve 7,000 patients in a year and we now serve almost 40,000 patients annually.
Here are some of our achievements:
- We have a thriving Obstetrical Unit with a 100% patient satisfaction rate. In the 2021/22 year, 596 babies were delivered at Stevenson, the highest number of deliveries in one year to date. With current growth in our community, we expect this number to rise significantly in the coming years.
- Stevenson in partnership with Southlake Regional Health Centre and Markham Stouffville Hospital is implementing new technology for electronic patient records. The shared system approach will allow a patient's health record to follow them between the three sites in the case of a transfer. Overall, the technology and partnership will transform the way that we deliver patient care, giving medical professionals improved access to patient medical data in real time, supporting faster diagnosis and treatment.
- High tech ultrasound units, donated to the hospital in 2006, were the first of their kind in the region.
- The hospital's first CT scanner was purchased and began testing patients in 2009.
- In July, 2020 SMH received an approval from the Ministry of Health on their Stage 1 submission for a redeveloped Hospital. In March, 2022 SMH received its Stage 2 approval and approval to move to Stage 3.
- In January, 2021 SMH celebrated the completion of their Level 2 ICU called the High Acuity Unit, which welcomed their first patient in early February.
Our goal as a community hospital is to provide quality patient care that meets the needs of our growing community. We are developing a strong vision for the future of Stevenson Memorial Hospital, centered on a revitalized hospital, cutting-edge equipment, and comfortable, modern space for patients and families to receive health care close to home.