The original hospital was made possible by donations from T.P. Loblaw, who rose to fame when he opened the first self-serve grocery in Canada. The idea of a hospital as a tribute to his grandparents, William and Elizabeth Stevenson. They had raised him at their farm just outside of Alliston after he was orphaned as an adolescent.
Mr F.K. Morrow and other citizens of the town also made generous contributions to the building and equipping of the structure on Fletcher Crescent in Alliston. It officially opened on June 30, 1928.
The present hospital was built in 1964 with money from the original fund as well as donations from public sources. Stevenson Memorial received accreditation in 1968 and has retained that status through successive surveys.